Strawberries and Rhubarb are in season and combined, they make a delicious treat. You can combine these flavors in pies, muffins, pancakes, bars, & crumbles, just to name a few. My favorite are these bars!
Yield: 16 bars
- 2 cups fresh rhubard, diced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 stevia packets (or 2-3 Tbsp of your favorite sweetener)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup cane sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
- 20 drops vanilla stevia (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degress F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the chopped rhubarb and strawberries, lemon juice, stevia packets and cornstarch. Gently mix together well until the cornstarch has coated all the fruit. Taste and add additional sweetener if desired depending on how ripe your fruit is.
- In another bowl, mix together the gluten free flour, melted coconut oil, cane sugar and stevia drops (if using). Mix together well, clean hands work well.
- Press just over half of the crumble mixture into a lightly oiled or sprayed 8×8 pan. Press it in firmly and evenly.
- Pour in your fruit mixture and spread evenly over top.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the fruit. Try to crumble with about pea sized shape pieces of dough or else it might have a harder time cooking though.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 50-55 minutes. I found with mine, it remained a light color on top.
- If you’d like your bars to be golden brown on top (like pictured), when done baking, keep the bars in the oven, switch your oven to BROIL high, and allow to broil for another 4 minutes or so until topping is golden. Keep a close eye, as it happens fast.
- Cut into 16 bars.
By: Kristine Fretwell
Busy But Health